And the reason that you wish to use an external directory is simple: If
you delete the main MikTeX tree when you wish to add a new version, you
don't want to delete private files.

As I noted earlier, you need to ensure that you don't save system files on
your private tree. They are brought in first. If they are out of date, you
can get version inconsistency.

Paul A. Thompson