2013/1/23 Xiaofan Chen <xiaof...@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Jim Michaels <jmich...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >  and, alas, microsoft has made sp2 unavailable and xp next year is
> support
> > EOL except for embedded. so SP1 users (like me) are out of luck unless
> they
> > have already downloaded and burned a copy of SP2 and SP3. after EOL,
> updates
> > will no longer be available from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com,
> just
> > like with windows 9x/me/2000.
>
> Are you still using Windows XP SP1? If that is the case, I am wondering
> how you can stop those worms spreading to your computer unless your
> XP SP1 computer is isolated from the Internet.
>
> I still remember the famous W32.Blaster worm affected many university
> PCs back in 2003.

Exactly. I don't see the need for anything to support Windows version
whatever past its EOL. That's just a pain the shenanigans with no merit
whatsoever. That being said, XP SP1 is stone age, where XP SP3 (!) is more
like... iron age. Note this isn't at all the official MinGW-w64 point of
view, but my personal opinion on old and deprecated software.

Ruben