On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
> 2013/1/23 Xiaofan Chen
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Jim Michaels wrote:
>> >
>> >  and, alas, microsoft has made sp2 unavailable and xp next year is
>> > support
>> > EOL except for embedded. so SP1 users (like me) are out of luck unless
>> > they
>> > have already downloaded and burned a copy of SP2 and SP3. after EOL,
>> > updates
>> > will no longer be available from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com,
>> > just
>> > like with windows 9x/me/2000.
>>
>> Are you still using Windows XP SP1? If that is the case, I am wondering
>> how you can stop those worms spreading to your computer unless your
>> XP SP1 computer is isolated from the Internet.
>>
>> I still remember the famous W32.Blaster worm affected many university
>> PCs back in 2003.
>

> Exactly. I don't see the need for anything to support Windows version
> whatever past its EOL. That's just a pain the shenanigans with no merit
> whatsoever. That being said, XP SP1 is stone age, where XP SP3 (!) is more
> like... iron age. Note this isn't at all the official MinGW-w64 point of
> view, but my personal opinion on old and deprecated software.

Regardless, the header set can be controlled as Microsoft does with
NTDDI_VERSION.  See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383745(v=vs.85).aspx
for reference.

In this case NTDDI_VERSION would be >= 0x05010300 before _vswprintf is
declared.  The user would need to set NTDDI_VERSION to the minimum
supported value for his software.  The user of that software would
need to ensure his system meets that minimum standard.

--
Earnie