Please keep signature in platform-headers as they are in prototypes.

I'm trying to understand exactly what the requirement is here. You've been doing this kind of work for a long time, so if you say there's a reason to do this I expect there is.

As I look at your patch (or my second one), I see these downsides:

 * Using different definitions between winnt.h and intrin.h is going to
   continue to cause conflicts.  While your patch resolves the problem
   of winnt.h conflicting with itself, trying to #include both files
   will still cause errors.
 * I'm uncertain about which definition to put in __stosb.c. Both
   prototypes are implemented in the same .c file.  So, use the
   definition from winnt.h?  Or intrin.h?  If they are not virtually
   identical, the linker won't find it.  If they must be identical, why
   have 2?
 * We are adding complexity to the macro.  This makes maintenance harder.

On the plus side I see:

 * The prototype in winnt.h still looks like MS's.

Near, but not exactly what I wrote.

I know they aren't. But there are downsides to this solution. Indeed to every solution that isn't "use the exact same definition for this function everywhere (ie my first proposed patch)."

That fact that you continue to push for keeping them different confuses me. I assume that's because you know something I don't. Help me understand.

> I don't see either a reason to modify intrin.h prototype either.

I made the change to intrin.h as a result of the (somewhat bewildering) fact that __LONG32 isn't always 32bits. I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but I believe __stosd should always work 4 bytes at a time.

dw