Hello Victor (and Ruben)!

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Ruben Van Boxem <ru...@box.mail> wrote:
> 2013/11/16 Victor Bombi <bo...@away.net>
>>
>> the information provided here
>> http://qt-project.org/wiki/MinGW-64-bit
>> could be then confusing or inacurate?
>
> If Qt people say there might be a performance degradation (I read the web
> page to only talk about C++11 threading features), then I believe them. I
> guess I'm not very familiar with heavy threading applications.
>
> Ruben

I did some crude mingw-w64 std::thread performance tests a few years
back comparing the winpthreads std::thread implementation with a
win32-based implementation.

In general, sometimes winpthreads was faster, and sometimes slower.
If I remember correctly, I think winpthreads was significantly slower in
thread creation (and maybe faster in mutex access in the face of
contention), but I reasoned that thread creation is in general a little
bit expensive: if you don't create a lot of threads, the additional cost
won't really matter, and if you create enough threads for the additional
winpthreads cost to matter, the cost of creating native win32 threads
would also matter, and you should probably be using a thread pool.

Bear in mind, this was a while ago.  Winpthreads has presumably been
tuned up some since then, and the win32 implementation was competent,
but not highly optimized.

Happy Multi-Threaded Hacking!

K. Frank