If you are a "complete win32 guy", I would suggest Visual Studio
Express Edition instead; unless you are trying change your ways :-)
FWIW, I wasn't really suggesting that you install MSYS2, just giving a
reference for how we build it with MSYS2/MinGW-w64.

Anyway, if you want to continue down this road that is fine. Pacman is
our package manager (ported from Arch Linux) that installs and updates
prebuilt binaries. makepkg (or makepkg-mingw) are the scripts that
make these packages. If you want to build FreeImage the MSYS2-way from
source code then you must use the MSYS2-provided compilers:

1. Install the installer.
2. Update as-per the Wiki (
https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/ ) -
basically pacman -Syu
3. Install base-devel, MinGW-w64 compilers and MinGW-w64: pacman -S
base-devel mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain mingw-w64-i686-toolchain
4. Clone MINGW-packages: git clone https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages
5. Go to the right directory: cd MINGW-packages/mingw-w64-FreeImage
6. Build it: makepkg-mingw -s -L (-s will install necessary build- and
run-time dependencies, -L will save a log in-case anything goes
wrong).
7. Install the packages you just built: pacman -U mingw-w64-*.xz

After this, you will have source code, object files, some packages and
logs around for reference.

FreeImage is a package that Alexey did quite a lot of changes to so
that it uses other shared dependencies instead of bundling and
building the source code of its dependencies, but we think that given
a good build and packaging system like MSYS2 has, using shared
dependencies is the preferred approach.

.. MSYS2 really shines when developer-users provide us with PKGBUILD
files that re-use our pre-built binaries, so if the thing you need
FreeImage for is Open Source, then forking MINGW-packages, adding a
PKGBUILD for it and submitting a pull request via GitHub would be
welcomed.