On 11/24/2018 5:17 PM, Mateusz Mikuła wrote:
Changelog for release and git version differ a lot and it won't apply
cleanly.
Your should get rid of Changelog part and it will work.

Thanks ! After getting rid of the Changelog part and adding a few more needed packages, I finally got binutils built with the fix successfully. It did indeed fix the bug I had encountered with using clang-7.0 with a mingw-w64/gcc backend.

I still do not understand the practical reason(s) for using the MSYS2 MSYS environment versus either the MSYS2 MingW 32-bit or MSYS2 MingW 64-bit environments, but I was able to succeed using the MSYS2 MSYS environment and a new binutils was produce both for mingw-w64 32-bit and mingw-w64 64-bit. I copied the files in this new binutils to my wingw-w64/gcc-8.1 32-bit and 64-bit installations respectively, and everything is working properly with both gcc-8.1 and clang-7.0. I do understand that each MSYS2 environment uses a different implementation of gcc when building software, as others explained to me, but I do not understand why some implementation of gcc should be preferred over another in MSYS2.

Among my conclusions about working within MSYS2 are:

1) An environment variable, such as my initial VERSION_CONTROL, should not cause problems in the build process. Maybe only a very small subset of the user's Windows environment variables should be brought over to the MSYS2 environment to avoid such a problem.

2) I do not understand how gpg checking, which I turned off with '--skippgpcheck', works when building a package. Maybe I just needed an MSYS2 package to use gpg checking and did not have it during my attempt to build binutils.

3) Some packages with which I needed to build binutils, such as 'make' and 'texinfo', were not installed by default when I issued the 'makepkg-mingw' command. Maybe there should be some MSYS2 package which automatically installs all the software I need to build any mingw package.

Thanks to all the people who helped me to get this done correctly, especially Liu Hao. I do appreciate your patient answers to my questions about the process of building a mingw package.

sob., 24 lis 2018 o 22:58 Edward Diener <eldlistmaili...@tropicsoft.com>