On 11/26/2018 10:06 AM, Earnie via Mingw-w64-public wrote:
On 11/24/2018 5:27 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
On 11/24/2018 5:18 PM, Earnie via Mingw-w64-public wrote:
On 11/24/2018 3:17 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
Is there anywhere a description of the files in a mingw-w64 distribution, with perhaps an explanation of whether any given file is used at compile, link, run-time, and/or for some other purpose ?

What exactly are you trying to determine?  If a file is used at runtime it will be in {usr,mingw32,mingw64}/bin directory.  If a file is required for the build process you will find it in {usr,mingw32,mingw64}/lib and perhaps under {usr,mingw32,mingw64}/{i686,x86_64}-{pc,w64}-{msys,mingw32}/* directories.

Yet there are many more directories in any given mingw-w64 distribution I have installed using the mingw-w64-install.exe program. What is the purpose of those other files if they are not being used at either compile, link, or run-time ? In other words why would a binary distribution of mingw-w64 have files that the end-user will never use ?

Since you don't mention a list of those I cannot help you.  If you wish to be more specific maybe we can answer your query.

I was intending to be general. I just find it to be poor documentation that the purposes of the files in a mingw-w64 distribution are not listed/explained anywhere to the end-user. I know it is free software, and documenting things which the programmers of free software do not think are necessary to do so is just extra work to them, but I work with free software also ( Boost C++ ) and usually a Boost library will explain all the files that are publicly for use and will also mention that in so-and-so directory are files that are used in the private implementation of the library. A Boost library usually does not distribute files to the end-user which has no use for the end-user when they want to use the library to compile/link/run code. I do not know if that is the same with mingw-w64, but since there is no documentation outside of the use of maybe a few files concerned with compiling/linking a library or program, I do not know if the majority of the files in the distro are actually being used by the end-user or the documented commands, or what those files are about. I think that mingw-w64 should document this. I understand that it "just works", but I think that programmers would like to know more than that about mingw-w64.