On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 08:55, Achim Blumensath wrote:
>>  I don't recall ever seeing a five-pointed mathematical
>> asterisk in any books or papers I have read.
>
> That's just because most mathematical texts are set in a baroque or
> romantic typeface like Times or Modern, which have asterisks with six
> tear-drop shaped arms.

I'm sure you are right that most mathematical texts are set in baroque
or modern typefaces. But it's more than that: even those texts that
are set in old-style typefaces still use 6-armed asterisks. For
example, the journals Nature and Nature Physics are currently set in
Minion, but they use 6-armed math asterisks (I can send you a reprint
if you'd like to see). Paul Hudak's book "The Haskell school of
expression" is set in Lucida Bright, but uses 6-armed math asterisks.
I'm sure there are other examples. These are just what I found now.

One final argument for using 6-pointed $*$: it makes the five-pointed
$\star$ much more easily distinguished from $*$.

Lev