On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, bofh wrote:

> On 6/26/05, Otto Moerbeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Ted Unangst wrote:
> >
> > > you changed a default and found a bug. less than 1% of users ever use
> > -m.
> > > there's really no good reason to use -m 1, and several reasons not to
> > (not
> > > least of which is it apparently doesn't work). leave it alone and use
> > the
> > > default; you will be happier.
>

> Umm, I know for the kernel, we're supposed to use GENERIC if we want to
> report a bug, but I did not realize that this carries through to the
> userspace as well.

Well, bugs that happen with default settings just have higher
priority.  Deviations form the defaults, especially if the man pages
contain advise against it, are frowned upon.

> The only reason I reported it is because I it was a bug I've never seen
> before, and I figured you guys might be interested.

I'm mildy interested...

> Sound advice.
> >
> > But in addition to that, I noticed you have disk offsets starting at
> > zero. On various patforms this is a problem, because you did not run
> > fdisk. Check http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#blankfdisk. Please
> > include platform info (dmesg) next time.
>

> Ah, it's ok, I'm not booting from it. Would have posted dmesg, but I figured
> it wasn't necessary. If this is not a known bug, and if there's any interest
> in a dmesg at all, I'll post it. Thanx.

Try to reproduce the problem after having run fdisk (if it is
applicable, still don't know your platform, arghhh), disklabel and
newfs. If you can still reproduce the problem, I'll put this on my
TODO list, but not very high.

        -Otto