On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, [iso-8859-15] Josi M. [iso-8859-15] Fandiqo wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I'm trying to install OpenBSD in three servers with
> identical hardware and I was able to install it in two
> of them but not in the third.
>
> Each server detects a diferent geometry for the SCSI
> disks  :-?
>
> server1 -> geometry: 817199/87/1 [71096313 Sectors]
> server2 -> geometry: 2843852/25/1 [71096300 Sectors]
> server3 -> geometry: 4425/255/63 [71087625 Sectors]
>
> in the third server the geometry causes a broken MBR
>
> anyone knows that can be causing this?
>
> Thank you.
>
> dmesg, fdisk and disklabel:
> http://195.55.55.164/tests/OpenBSD/server1.txt
> http://195.55.55.164/tests/OpenBSD/server2.txt
> http://195.55.55.164/tests/OpenBSD/server3.txt

I cannot explain the differences in geometry. Your disklabels look OK,
it might be a BIOS thing that hits you. This smells like a problem
Nick loves ;-)

You server3 log puzzles me, since it is incomplete. I do not see you
setting the size in fdisk.  This is important since there are a few
CAVEATS; see fdisk(8).

I see you violate the MBR boundary rules on server 1 and 2 as well.
You might be just lucky the other two servers work, and have a hidden
problem there as well.

If possible, it is easiest to just use the whole disk for OpenBSD,
since fdisk -i (as done by the installer) just takes care of
everything.

        -Otto