On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:48:49AM -0500, Chris wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Adam Fabian wrote:
>
> >I've tried building an OpenBSD release from the 3.7-stable branch a
> >few times in the last few days, on two different i386 machines, and
> >both stopped in the same place.  I'm following release(8) closely and
> >not trying to reuse /usr/obj, and dealing with new, clean, complete,
> >consistent checkouts of the code.  The failure comes on step 4, (make
> >and validate the system release) during the "make release" command in
> >/usr/src/etc.
> >
> >Here's a log of the failure.  It seems to be working on RAMDISKC:
>
> Ummm - maybe I don't understand but, how can you make a RELEASE from
> STABLE? Isnt STABLE following the patch branch? And RELEASE is jsut that
> - what's on the CD?
>
> If i'm correct - then you can't do that. If I'm correct, think of it this
> way:
>
> RELEASE = what you buy.
> STABLE  = is what you follow for security patches
> CURRENT = is what you run as a developer. It's kinda like a Beta of the
> next RELEASE.

This is one of those annoying re-use of words.  You most certainly build a
release(8) of -stable.  or -current.  or -release. :)

There is an issue with RAMDISKC on -stable, it grew post-release.

Either:
  1) Remove a couple non-critical drivers from RAMDISKC
or
  2) Tell the system not to bother building RAMDISKC as part of the
release.  You can do this by removing references to ramdiskC from
/usr/src/distrib/i386/Makefile.

I started with attack 1, but decided 2 was easier after the third time I
managed to miss one use of something, resulting in a bad build.

Proper solution is 1, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and figure
out what drivers are best to remove.

Nick.