Marius Van Deventer - Umzimkulu wrote:

Or you could disable apm0 and see if that helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gwynne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: 19 July 2005 01:57 PM
To: Gary Clemans-Gibbon
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: Writes to samba server very, very slow

From: "Gary Clemans-Gibbon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks for your reply Tim. If anything it makes me feel
worse. I was
hoping it was something easily fixed.

I just tried transferring a 50 Mb file to the OBSD samba
box from win
using SCP. Again very slow writes but much faster reads.
The 50 Mb file
took about 7 mins to transfer to the OBSD box and about 30
seconds to read
from the OBSD box.

it looks like you're running a release 3.7 kernel. it is possible that your machine suffers from the halt-halt idle loop bug that has been fixed in stable. could you try upgrading your kernel to the stable branch and trying again?
Hello,

Ok, this is just a shot in the dark. If your slowness is across the network and protocol independant (ie: ftp, scp)... I used to see this alot when 100M NIC's first came out & the autodetection would not work properly.

I think it was the cards would get confused with the full duplex/1/2 duplex setting, and would happen only when it was 2 100M devices... never when it was a 10<-->100 NIC

This would affect Windows, Unix, etc... I used to just manually set the cards to the protocol I knew the switch was trying to do. This was YEARS ago, but who knows... but it was completely consistant that it was an order of magnitude slower only in one direction!

Maybe this will help..

Cheers,
Steve