Stephen Marley wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 01:28:17PM -0700, Gary Clemans-Gibbon wrote:

A little bit more info,

i ran the following...

.

$ ifconfig -m dc0
dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       address: 00:50:bf:9c:62:e4
       media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
       status: active
       supported media:
               media none
               media 10baseT
               media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
               media 100baseTX
               media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
               media autoselect
       inet 192.168.20.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.20.255
       inet6 fe80::250:bfff:fe9c:62e4%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
$ ifconfig dc0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Operation not permitted
$ su
Password:
salyut# ksh
# ifconfig dc0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
# ifconfig dc0 media 100baseTX
# ifconfig dc0 media 10baseT
# ifconfig dc0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
# ifconfig dc0 media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex

It speeded up for the 10baseT setting. I ran through the rest of the settings and now it seems hosed. I think I have thouroughly confused my switch now. Obviously it goes without saying that I want it to work at 100 not 10 but now it is really not working at all, like 30 minutes to copy a 5 Mb file in either direction!

Not good :(

Reset your switch. Try 100baseTX half-duplex. If autonegiotion is
broken, and the switch is not manageable (to turn off autoneg), this may
be the best you can do.

Also, this may be obvious, but have you tried different cables?

Yes, I've tried different cables and different ports on the switch. This hardware has all been used before together. I cycled the power to the switch (can't find a reset button) and no change. Via samba or SCP it takes 7 minutes to write a file to the server and 12 seconds to read the same file.

thanks