On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 at 10:31 -0600, jared r r spiegel wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:58:31PM +0100, Jason McIntyre wrote:
> >
> > yes, it was removed a little while ago. you can get the same
> > functionality from openssl(1) req. see also isakmpd(8).
>
>   i checked on the isakmpd(8), it gives an example how to make
>   a subjectAltName extension field using IP or FQDN, but
>   how does one make UFQDN now that certpatch is gone?
>
>   i did a 'find /usr/src -type f | xargs egrep -i "(u|user).*fqdn"',
>   but didn't find much who could hint me on how to add an
>   [x509v3_UFQDN] section to /etc/ssl/x509v3.cnf correctly.
>
>   i made a few random guesses and tried these type of things
>   individually:

hmm i don't relly know what you are doing wrong here but for me this
has worked almost any time.

[x509v3_UFQDN]
subjectAltName=email:$ENV::CERTUFQDN

CERTUFQDN must be provided as environment variable and you might
want to use it with somthing like that.

openssl genrsa -out $CERTDIR/$SUBJECT/$SUBJECT.key              \
        $CERTBITS

openssl req -batch -config $REQUEST_CONFIG -sha1 -new           \
        -key $CERTDIR/$SUBJECT/$SUBJECT.key                     \
        -out $CERTDIR/$SUBJECT/$SUBJECT.csr

openssl x509 -req -sha1 -days $CERTDAYS                         \
        -in $CERTDIR/$SUBJECT/$SUBJECT.csr                      \
        -CA $CADIR/certs/ca.crt -CAkey $CADIR/private/ca.key    \
        -extfile $EXTFILE -extensions x509v3_FQDN               \
        -CAcreateserial -CAserial $CADIR/serial                 \
        -out $CERTDIR/$SUBJECT/$SUBJECT.crt                     \
        -passin env:PASSPHRASE

adding the section to you x509v3.cnf you should have something like:

# default settings
CERTPATHLEN             = 1
CERTUSAGE               = digitalSignature,keyCertSign
CERTIP                  = 0.0.0.0
CERTFQDN                = nohost.nodomain

# This section should be referenced when building an x509v3 CA
# Certificate.
# The default path length and the key usage can be overriden
# modified by setting the CERTPATHLEN and CERTUSAGE environment
# variables.
[x509v3_CA]
basicConstraints=critical,CA:true,pathlen:$ENV::CERTPATHLEN
keyUsage=$ENV::CERTUSAGE

# This section should be referenced to add an IP Address
# as an alternate subject name, needed by isakmpd
# The address must be provided in the CERTIP environment variable
[x509v3_IPAddr]
subjectAltName=IP:$ENV::CERTIP

# This section should be referenced to add a FQDN hostname
# as an alternate subject name, needed by isakmpd
# The address must be provided in the CERTFQDN environment variable
[x509v3_FQDN]
subjectAltName=DNS:$ENV::CERTFQDN

# This section should be referenced to add a UFQDN hostname
# as an alternate subject name, needed by isakmpd
# The address must be provided in the CERTUFQDN environment variable
[x509v3_UFQDN]
subjectAltName=email:$ENV::CERTUFQDN

if you want to have a script doing this work for you i will upload
one.

Tim

--
Darksun rising over blood red sea