On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 04:01:43PM -0400, Chris wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I found another issue with KDE in OBSD.  It was there in 3.6, and
> persisted in 3.7 when I upgraded.
>
> My battery monitor would show in the lower right hand corner in the
> kpanel (kicker) as root -- but  not as another user.  When I went to
> kcontrol and clicked on Power Control:Laptop Battery, the application
> would crash.  No errors.
>
> I looked at /dev/apm* and the perms were set to 600 on my apm and apmctl
> (and their symbolic links).  I changed them to 666, and now everything
> works swimmingly.
>
> Just wanted to post incase anyone else pulls their hair out over this.
> It is frustrating to use a laptop and not know how much time you have
> left before it bombs-out!  :)

Look, it's not REALLY interesting for us to find out that a large part
of the system does not work if you do weird things to modes all over
the place.

Now, what's really interesting for YOU is to figure out how you managed
to make such a fuck-up of a (claimed) `normal' installation of OpenBSD
3.7.

My MAKEDEV shows apm and apmctl at 644.

How did you end up with 600 ?

How did you end up with a fucked-up libcrypto.so.* ?

You need to figure THAT out. Either you did something really stupid at some
point, or you've got some MAJOR TROUBLE on your system.