On Monday 26 of September 2005 20:00, Chris Smith wrote:
> Both Jacek's book and the pf faq,
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html, state that queueing is
> only useful for packets in the outbound direction.
>
> Yet, I find examples that show inbound traffic being sent to queues.
>
> On the faq page above there are these examples:
> pass in on dc0 from $it_net to any queue it_int
> pass in on dc0 from $boss to any queue boss_int
> pass in on dc0 proto tcp from $int_nets to $wwwserv port { 21, 80, \
>       49151 } flags S/SA keep state queue www_int
>
> At http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html there is this:
> pass in  on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if flags S/SA \
>         keep state queue (q_def, q_pri)
> Also confusing here is that he's dealing with a ADSL and there is a
> bandwidth difference between incoming and outgoing directions, yet the
> "pass in on $ext_if" statement refers to the same queue throttled to
> the upload bandwidth.
>
> What am I missing here?

Traffic can be assigned to queue not necessarily on the interface/direction
the traffic takes effect on. Eg, you have queue ftp_out, that is designed to
let your desktop to upload to some sites no faster than some speed, and of
course the queue being defined on $ext_if. But the rule assigning traffic to
it would be something like "pass in on $int_if from $my_desktop to any proto
tcp port ftp queue ftp_out"

I hope that makes sense.

--
viq