On Feb 27 14:02:11, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Sorry for not snipping more, all the old text is really needed to
> understand the answer.
>
> Jan Stary wrote on Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:36:52PM +0100:

> [...]
>
> >> text/html is usually in Mutt's auto_view list; auto_view stuff is
> >> automatically piped through any viewer with "copiousoutput" set,
>
> > Yes, but that's not the issue here. I don't want the html attachments to
> > be autoviewed; in fact, I have 'set implicit_autoview=no' in ~/.muttrc
>
> >> whereas non-"copiousoutput" entries are only used if you explicitly open it
> >> ('v' -> select item -> 'm').
>
> > This is what I want; and in fact, it does work, when I explicitly open
> > them with 'v' -> select  -> 'm'; until now,, I have been explicitly
> > opening the attachments I wanted to view with 'v' -> select -> Enter.
> > That's what stooped working; opening them with 'm' runs the correct
> > (~/.mailcap) lynx command over them.
>
> Reading manual.txt, i understand this is intended behaviour.
> If i understand correctly, with "set implicit_autoview=no",
> the "auto_view" list is used for two purposes:
>  - When viewing the message as a whole, to decide whether a given
>    MIME part should be displayed inline after running it through
>    the MIME handler,
>  - and from the "v"iew menu, when selecting a part with "Enter"
>    (as opposed to selecting it with "m"), to decide whether to
>    use the MIME handler or to display it as raw text using the
>    internal pager.
> So yes, when you have neither "set implicit_autoview=yes" nor
> "auto_view text/html", you have to type "v" "m" to start lynx.
>
> In case this was different in old versions of mutt, it may either
> have been a bug or an intentional change of behaviour.

I haven't changed my mutt configuration, so it was probably
an intentional change of behaviour.

Anyway, now that I have read about the MIME chapter again,
I am in fact using auto_view for text/html with (.muttrc)

set implicit_autoview=no
auto_view text/html
alternative_order text/plain text/enriched

and (.mailcap)

text/html ; lynx -assume_charset=iso-8859-2 %s ; nametemplate=%s.html
text/html ; lynx -assume_charset=iso-8859-2 -dump -nolist -force_html %s ; \
        nametemplate=%s.html ; copiousoutput

>   3.110. implicit_autoview
>   [...]
>    If set to "yes", mutt will look for a mailcap entry with the
>    "copiousoutput" flag set for every MIME attachment it doesn't have an
>    internal viewer defined for. If such an entry is found, mutt will use
>    the viewer defined in that entry to convert the body part to text form.
>
> So conversely, without implicit_autoview, it will only look for mailcap
> entries for MIME types listed in auto_view, or when explicitely
> requested with "v" "m".

Yes; this is what I am using now.

>   4. MIME Autoview
>   [...]
>    In addition to explicitly telling Mutt to view an attachment with the
>    MIME viewer defined in the mailcap file from the attachments menu, Mutt
>    has support for automatically viewing MIME attachments while in the
>    pager.
>
> That's what you ask for when pressing "v" "Enter", so without auto_view,
> you will get raw HTML tags displayed in the internal parser, bacause
> the MIME handler will not be called.

Yes; your explanation is correct.

        Thank you for your time

                Jan