On 4/7/2011 3:06 AM, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Steven R. Gerber
> <sger...@gerber-systems.com> wrote:
>> On 4/7/2011 1:01 AM, Abel Abraham Camarillo Ojeda wrote:
>>>>

>>> I wish we had some kind of super-black-magic-mind-reading-hyper-sysmerge
> tool...
>>>

>> Dear Abel,
>> That was unnecessary.
>
> It was as sysmerge(8) is doing great job.
>
>> My point was that migrating from 4.8/i386 to 4.8/amd64 requires
>> virtually no changes to main /etc.
>
> Virtually maybe. Practically for sure.
>
>> But, a fresh install (not an upgrade) makes me (re)verify all of /etc.
>> The upgrade FAQ 4.7 -> 4.8 was fairly clear about what parts of /etc
>> were touched and needed special attention.
>
> You can use site scripts to make your own changes directly during install.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Steven

Thanks to everyone for the thorough comments.
I know that sysmerge is a great tool.  My "tedious" thought was just
that (all the tools are available for this part).
After all the comments and some reflection, I have some questions (I
might be reaching).
Since going from i386 to amd64 will probably be common, should a guide
be in FAQ?  I am very willing to do what I can.  I just don't want to be
barking up the wrong tree.
The partitions/mounts problem is far more disconcerting.  What if I need
to save data to a striped array to do the migration?
Recreating/resetting those parameters is dangerous.  How can I create
and use a site script to preserve them through install?  Is it possible
to do an install without walloping the existing filesystem(s)? (Deleting
files is OK.)

Thanks,
Steven