On 04/07/2011 02:08 PM, Steven R. Gerber wrote:
Nick,
Thanks for the clue, but I still don't get it (me dummy?).
NOTE for re-installers: The new installer will not clear your old
disklabel if you chose "(C)ustom Layout", but you will need to
re-specify each mount point using the 'm' option in disklabel(8).

The installer now creates those partitions and creates file systems on
them using newfs(8), and mounts them for installation:
The FAQ indicates that I must set mounts in disklabel and that they'll
be newfs'd.
If I don't set them then how/where will the installer copy and unpack files?

you don't not set ALL the mount points, you just don't set the mount points you wish to save.

i.e., simple case, you have:
/  sd0a
/usr  sd0d
/var   sd0e
/home  sd0h
/tmp  sd0f
/u1   sd0g

You want to save /u1 and /home. So, don't define mount points for the partitions that would have been mounted (sd0g, sd0h). Define the other four partitions mount points. sd0g and sd0h won't be newfs'd.

Is there a point in the process (after disklabel, before file sets)
where I can fix /etc/fstab and mount?

NO.
if you are trying to unpack files on to partitions you tried to avoid newfs-ing, you are doing it wrong!

What if you want to save /usr from newfs?  YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.
what if you want to save /var from newfs? YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG (probably).
what if you want to save / from newfs?  YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.
What if you want to save /tmp from newfs? You are missing the point of /tmp.

The only thing you should be trying to save are data containing directories -- /home and maybe some other "special" directories, like my /u1 example here. A possible exception to his might be /var; I could see you may have websites or mail and didn't think far enough ahead to put those in their own partition, but you will have a bit of a clean-up job to do there, as things like the pkg database live there, restoring that over a machine with a different package collection installed is annoying.

AFTER your first boot, edit /etc/fstab to put back your other partitions. AFTER install.

That should be non-eventful, but you should practice on a non-critical system.

Nick.