I'm late to read this thread but I just want to say I'm very grateful for all the work you've done, specially because you don't confuse me with business tricks.

About business, I dont think you should expect people to be 'good', but I also think that when what you are doing makes good to people, it isn't that hard to make them feel uncomfortable.

I would suggest making donation 'buttons' ominipresent when you navigate openbsd.org. Put it visible in places that people will need: download, documentation.

For example, I'm quite on a budget but for example wikipedia.org completely got me. I use it so often that I couldn't read any more 'we need your donations' and ignore it when there was no more advertising on the site.

My five cents,
marc