On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:08:47AM -0600, Devin Reade wrote:
> Benny Lofgren <bl-li...@lofgren.biz> wrote:
>
> If I was to say the following, would it work without causing an
> unacceptable amount of work?
>
> "My company wants to pay you to develop or fix <feature> (where <feature>
> is already on the short list of what is planned for the next release).
> It is worth <value> to us.  If you're interested, send us an invoice
> (from either you personally or your corporation or other business
> entity) in some readily machine readable format (text file,
> spread sheet, pdf, it doesn't matter) that lists the amount
> and the feature. We'll send you the check immediately, and consider
> the deliverable complete when the *initial* version is committed."
>
> That deliverable is intented to be unobtrusive.  It doesn't say
> that it *must* be in the next release.  It also doesn't imply
> any sort of user acceptance test or support requirement. It allows
> for the possibility for you to pass the funds along and have
> another developer implement it.  It is similar to other open
> source projects where a company might put up a bounty to have a
> certain feature implemented (other than in those cases, it is open to
> whomever grabs it first).

Maybe I don't understand this question because I'm just a hobbyist user and not
an employee whose company uses OBSD, so forgive me if I've misunderstood your
intent. But isn't it an order of magnitude simply to follow the suggestion
Marco/Benny put forth and purchase a bunch of CDs and make a note to ship only
one (thus eliminating the waste of resources)? I think it's been stated amply
that THESE GUYS DON"T WANT TO BE BOTHERED with stuff that takes them away from
writing code.

-Scott