Hello,

How does one attach a tty to a display not using vga(4)?

I'm trying to set up a Lilliput UM-70 USB display to use as
console display instead of using the VGA device. However, I'm
relatively new to OpenBSD so I've not had much success so far.
The machine I'm using is running a fresh 4.9 amd64 install.

When booting, the UM-70's amber power LED is blinking until the
kernel recognizes the device. At that point, the power LED stops
blinking and stays on, and the backlight of the UM-70 turns on as
well. So something is working. (I've also verified that the UM-70
is working in WinXP, so it's not faulty.)

The dmesg output after getting that far is this:

# dmesg|tail -10
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support
ugen0 at uhub4 port 1 "Broadcom Corp 5880" rev 1.10/1.01 addr 2
vscsi0 at root
scsibus1 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
root on sd0a swap on sd0b dump on sd0b
udl0 at uhub1 port 1 "DisplayLink LILLIPUT USB Monitor" rev 2.00/1.24 addr 2
max_dotclock according to supported modes: 29000
wsdisplay1 at udl0 mux 1
wsdisplay1: screen 0 addded (std, vt100 emulation)

And this is where I'm stuck now. I can't figure out how to make
OpenBSD use the UM-70. I've read through the udl(4), wscons(4),
wsdisplay(4), tty(4), wsmux(4), wsconscfg(8) plus a lot of other
man pages, but anything I've tried has failed. I've also looked
at the udl.c and the xenocara wsudl_driver.c files without
getting any closer to a solution.

I've tried some desperate, clueless things such as playing around
with /etc/ttys (and then kill -HUP'ing init) to get a tty onto
the UM-70, trying out lines like these:
        ttyC6 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" udl on secure
but (not surprising) with no success.

I haven't found any config file where wscons is setting up ttys
C0-C5 to use the vga(4) driver before the ttys are activated in /etc/ttys.

So, my main quesion is this: how do I attach a tty to the UM-70?

I have run "MAKEDEV all" but that didn't help. Is there perhaps
some other MAKEDEV command I should try?

After learning how to attach a tty to the UM-70, I figure I could
make it the default console by doing as described in the OpenBSD
FAQ; add a "set tty [UDLTTY]" to /etc/boot.conf .

I have also tried getting X working, without first trying to get
a tty on the display, but my experiences mirror those in the
"udl(4) support for StarTech CONV-USB2DVI" thread. I guess it's
because the wsudl driver cannot work on a regular VGA tty, so if
I could attach a tty to the UM-70 I guess I could start X with
the wsudl driver on that tty as well. But X is secondary, the
important thing is to get a tty on the UM-70.

Dave