On 06/11/2011 10:45 AM, David wrote:
On 6/10/2011 10:45 PM, patrick keshishian wrote:
So I have this gateway lt31 (someshit) netbook that hangs after random
number of zzz/wake cycles. I posted on misc@ about it a few times and
both Theo and Mike Larkin chimed in (privately) with advice and
patches; Much appreciated, but the problem persists.

So I had the genius idea that updating the bios may help the situation.

The problem: The bios update is a zip file with one DOS and one
Winblows executable.

I don't have either OS. So I borrowed a Win XP and a Windows Server
2003 CD from friends.

I am able to boot off both of them (using an external USB CDROM) and
drop to a command prompt. This is in the hopes of executing the win
.exe file off a USB stick.

Recap: I boot off CD fine. I am able to drop to a command prompt OK. I
am able to see the contents of the USB stick OK too. But I am unable
to execute the damn executable off the USB stick.

I can't CD into the directory they are in (error message: not
allowed). I can "DIR folder" and get the listing of the
directory/folder with the executables within it. If I supply the full
path to the executable it doesn't run (I forget the exact error
message -- I should've written it down before giving up).

So the question I have is how can I update this netbook's bios?

--patrick

Hate to state the obvious, but have you tried just installing windows on
a hard drive in the notebook, and executing the update from within windows?

You might also try a BartPE boot/rescue CD (Windows):

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I've run antivirus from these before.

Corey