On 2011-06-22 09.24, Tobias Ulmer wrote:

>>> Oops, looks like that was a "holy war" type of question. Sorry I did
>>> not want to start that.

>>> It's not that I want specifically Linux. I've just decided to look for
>>> a system that cat satisfy me from the usability point of view. I do
>>> not care if that will be Linux or *BSD or Solaris or whatever  else.
>>> The main idea was that the work with the system should be a pleasure,
>>> not a pain :)
>>
>> What you should do is relearn the proper way. :-)

[the rest of my rant deleted]

> Oh please, Linus wrote the kernel, not Ubuntu. If you hate coreutils or
> getopt, blame the respective groups that developed them and not someone
> writing a kernel, a long time ago.

No, I don't hate coreutils or getopt, getopt is good shit. What I hate
is the inconsistensies, the fact that Linux isn't a homogenous piece of
work but so obviously a product of a thousand chefs, few with similar
taste.

And my criticism extends to the kernel too, or rather begins with it, so
it definitley applies to Linus himself and the kernel guys.

> This rose tinted "OpenBSD is the greatest" shit really gets on my
> nerves. It's all fun to bash others, but from time to time you have to
> look at their stuff and figure out which parts they did right and you
> could improve.

Granted, my rant was, on purpose, negatively Linux-biased, but not in
one single place - also on purpose - would you have found the word
OpenBSD or any slant towards it, which makes me suspect you couldn't
stand what I wrote long enough to actually read all of it. :-)

So I think you might have missed my point. There is a "true unix"
heritage that needs to be cared for, THAT MAKES LIFE SIMPLER if you
understand and take advantage of it.

Linus missed or chose to ignore that part entirely. That's fine, as
Linux is not said to be a unix operating system, but a "unix like" one.

The problem is, this "likeness" is not "like enough", so it really
doesn't help the community overall but rather hinders it. This is
something the Linux and GNU folks could have addressed in the early
days but either chose to ignore or were ignorant about. For that
they absolutely deserve some blame.

Now, the OP:s questions are certainly addressable by choosing a shell
he is used to, and perhaps by a set of aliases and/or scripts to tune
the "user experience" into something familiar for him.

My problem with that, and the reason for the recommendation I made
before digressing into rant mode, is that that practice will get him
into trouble in the long run, as he encounters other flavors of unix,
linux, Solaris, *BSD and whatever else might lie in his path in the
future. So my suggestion, while tongue in cheek, was made in all
seriousness and is in my opinion still a very valid one.

(Ok, this will be my last novel in this thread, I promise... I just
seem genetically unable to say things in just a few words.)

Regards,
/Benny

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny LC6fgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,