Hi all,

Medion computers, supermicro (many cheap models) motherboards are known as
'not free *unix* compatible'.
Therefore most of supermicro other motherboards just seem to work well with
*linux & *BSD.
Madion are hardware "coded" to be able only to boot a real windows OS, (even
reactOS often fail to boot correctly), Then you need to boot other OS to have
windows installed in first partition(s) & to use a multiboot, but even that
can fail....

<misc@openbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: OpenBSD current i386  hangs on boot in lm0.
>

> On 07/06/11 07:47, Nigel Taylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I updated from OpenBSD current i386, built from CVS 24th March 2011, to
> > one built from CVS on 2nd July 2011. The bsd.rd booted, and was used to
> > upgrade, on reboot this hung. I noted lm0 was the last line, rebooting
> > with the older kernel version the next dmesg line was lm1 detached, and
> > the boot completed.
> >
> > The line in the /var/log/messages for old kernel are:-
> > /bsd: lm1 at iic0 addr 0x2d: W83781D
> > /bsd: lm0 at isa0 port 0x290/8: W83781D
> > /bsd: lm1 detached
> >
> > Using boot -c with latest bsd, I disabled lm, this booted as normal with
> > lm disabled. dmesg is below.
> >
> > I downloaded the latest snapshot bsd 29th June 2011, booted from this an
> > hit the same problem at lm0.
> >
> > I booted from the bsd built from cvs, using boot -c and disabled just
> > lm0, this booted as normal.
> >
> > Updated from CVS today, and rebuilt the kernel, booted from the new bsd,
> > this hung at the same point lm0.
> >
> > Two other i386 systems are fine, but these don't have the lm device.
> >
> > Please contact me if anymore information is required, or anything you
> > would me to try out.
>
> I reported the same thing in these two messages:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130755536116000&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130764492616339&w=2
>
> This hang happens with the 4 different SuperMicro based motherboards I
> have that have the lm chipset.
>
> In the second message referenced above I noted that a snapshot dated May
> 25 booted normally and I first ran into the problem on June 6 so the
> window is fairly small.
>
> However, when I tried building kernels for that range of days I ran into
> other problems and haven't been able to get back to it since.
>
> Jeff

Cordialement
Francois Pussault
3701 - 8 rue Marcel Pagnol