On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 17:23:08 +0200 (CEST), Francois Pussault wrote
> Hi all,
>
> Medion computers, supermicro (many cheap models) motherboards are
> known as 'not free *unix* compatible'. Therefore most of supermicro
> other motherboards just seem to work well with *linux & *BSD. Madion
> are hardware "coded" to be able only to boot a real windows OS,
>  (even reactOS often fail to boot correctly), Then you need to boot
> other OS to have a windows installed in first partition(s) & to use
> a multiboot, but even that can fail....

I have to disagree about Supermicro. I have been using their motherboards
since the mid-2000s, and they are neither cheap nor unfriendly to free unices.
The biggest problem is that their support people are generally not unix
people. I never had any trouble running OpenBSD on their products until 4.8,
when it started hanging on boot, which I reported to this list previously.
~~~