Greetings to all,

we are running a project to anycast our DNS resolver infrastructure. The
case is a big commercial country-wide IP network. The company uses Linux
extensively in the infrastructure but no BSDs.

I keep an eye on OpenBSD developments (mostly high level) and use the
system personally, but I have no personal experience in larger setups and
production services. I find the project a good match for OpenBSD,
because of the system's strong networking features and routing
support. I will definitely include OpenBSD in our tests and hopefully
make a case for it, to introduce it in our infrastructure.

The main contenders as you realise are Linux-based setups with either
Quagga or BIRD. As for DNS software we will stick with BIND for now and
perhaps consider UNBOUND in the future (when the future involves
DNSSEC). From what I have seen so far in various sources, people mention
Quagga's scalability problems and maybe old architecture while good
words are said about BIRD. We are after a solid OSPF implementation both
v2 and v3 (IPv6). I have seen OpenBSD's routing software architecture
and I like it a lot and I also have a high regard for the system's
quality.

Of course personal taste is not enough as you understand to support a
case of introduction of a new platform in a production, commercial
environment with A LOT of contraints mostly non-technical. The questions
therefore are:

- has anyone done anything similar using OpenBSD that would like to
  share?

- how would you compare with facts and not flamewars OpenOSPFd against
  Quagga or BIRD implementations?

- what is your opinion about using a latest version of BIND from ISC
  instead of the BIND distribution coming with OpenBSD?

- is there any option of commercial support?

- would you consider Java support on OpenBSD "production quality"? Seems
  irrelevant but we might utilize some Java tools for
  measurement/statistics

Thanks for the very good and hard work on the system.
I would be interested to hear any thoughts even off-list.

Regards,

Kostas

--
Kostas Zorbadelos