It was truly a shame that so many people here prefer to start their flamethrowers rather than offer any sort of constructive information! In this case, THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AND IT WOULD MOST LIKELY NOT HAVE BEEN FIXED WITH A NORMAL UPGRADE! !! !!! !!!!

Before reading further, please REREAD the statement above.

As it turns out, there WERE some folks here that had excellent suggestions [privately], and that helped significantly in isolating the problem. Thanks to ____ who got me back on topic and reminded me of this possible issue, .. and ____ who suggested the simplest solution:

find / ! \( -fstype ffs -or -fstype ufs -or -fstype ext2fs \) -prune -or -path /tmp -prune -or -path /var/tmp -prune -or -path /usr/tmp -prune -or -print > /tmp/locate test

Running the find separately identified the file system problem, and it was easily fixed as a result.

        Lee