tl:dr: yes, I agree with the OP - that step could be more informative
and it would be a good idea to include further confirmation before
effectively writing changes to the disk/MBR.
It was funny (and sad at the same time) to read this unfortunate
event that happened with Leonardo, and it was particularly
interesting to me because as a newcomer to the OpenBSD world
I also struggled with the disk partitioning step and his story
could very well be mine. I also ran into a huge risk when installing
it into my computer's hard disk drive trying to achieve a dual boot setup.

Luckily, I first installed OpenBSD a dozen times on a VM to get
an idea of dealing with the OpenBSD installation, package
management, etc. After learning what I considered enough to
get my hands dirty and performing a real installation I burned
the iso into a cd and began the process. However, I had
forgotten that I would be required to create the OpenBSD partition
because every time I installed it on the VM I had choose
the whole disk option. But I wasnt careless, and choose the
custom layout option. However, the next step wasn't very
practical for a newbie like me to easily visualize what exactly
I had to do, how to do it and where it would be made. At this point
I just felt it wasn't woth the risk and then I simply power off the
machine by holdind the power button down.

Back to windows I did some googling about dual boot setups.
Found some info who said what I should do but not how to do it. What I found
was that I should use fdisk to select the desired partition and mark it
as OpenBSD partition (A6). Ok, another try and I'm back staring
at the disk partitioning tool, however I cold not guess wich was
the correct partition I should select, because the information was
displayed in bytes, not GBs, and the OpenBSD partition I had created
was of similar size to another three partitions already in place.
Back to windows I decided to use Easeus partition magic to change
the filetype of the partition I had previously created for openBSD
to ext2 for better visualization. Finished it I was back to
the openbsd install and finally could identify the correct partition I was
looking for and succeded at installing it without erasing all my data.
The final step was to go back to windows and use a tool named
EasyBCD to add the OpenBSD partition to the boot menu and
I finally had my dualboot setup in place.

Well as you guys can see installing openbsd is a bit complicated
for newbies like me, and I got thing done as I could. The possibility
to have all your data wiped
instantly because of a very simplistic installer could be, indeed, a big
turn off for new, inexperienced ( and sometimes careless) users.
Some linux instalers i used are more straightforward and
certainly help people like me to perform a succesfull install
the way we want it without screwing everything up.

Can the installer improve? Yes. Is it a technical challenge to implement
further assistance? I dont know. What I do know is that it
would be a very nice addition to the curent installer in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.