On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 04:40:47PM -0700, Barry Grumbine wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czark...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Though OpenBSD installer is not the main feature of OpenBSD for me (it
> > is only used to install OS anyway), I wouldn't like it to change in any
> > way now, as I just can't think of a way to make it better.
> >

> Sorry, hate to beat a dead horse...  There is one use case where I
> would like to see the installer enhanced:
>
> I have a laptop with OpenBSD installed.
> I want to install to a flash/USB drive, or SD card, or eSATA drive...
> I start the laptop with boot > bsd.rd
> Select (I)nstall
> Eventually get to the question:
>
> Available disks are: sd0 sd1 sd2
> Which one is the root disk? (or 'done') [sd0]
>
> At this point I usually say "oh crap", hit ^c, and go read the dmesg
> or `disklabel sd1` to make sure I pick the right disk.

Why not 'oh crap, hit "!", check the disks, exit, and then answer the
question'? No need to restart when a shell is a "!" away. Exiting the
shell reprints the last question.

I don't think the size will let everyone identify the disks. Many of my
setups have multiple disks with the same size.

.... Ken