Dewey Hylton <dewey.hyl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i know that the alix has hardware crypto supporting aes-128-cbc. one thing
> that was unclear to me was, on the openbsd ipsec side, whether
> aes == aes-128 == aes-128-cbc ... my assumption was YES, after seeing that

Yes.

> aes/aes-128 are both 3 times faster than des on this hardware - but then
> i found that blowfish and aes-256 are both faster as well, so at this point

3DES is relatively slow in software.  More modern algorithms like
Blowfish and AES were designed for their operations to map efficiently
to the command sets of common 32- and 64-bit microprocessors.

> i'm still not sure i'm even getting anything out of the hardware crypto.

You are.  You could compare the performance of "aes" (AES-128-CBC)
and "aesctr" (AES-128-CTR).  These require similar amounts of
processing, but aesctr doesn't benefit from the Geode's hardware
acceleration.

Also, as has already been mentioned, the authentication algoritms
are similarly computationally expensive as the encryption part.
If there isn't enough CPU, you could gain some performance by
switching back from AES/SHA256 to AES/SHA1.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de