On 05/11/12 21:46, Eric Oyen wrote:
> hello everyone.
>
> I was thinking that if we had a live image (A full running system) with an
> installer, we could have easier installations for the blind (and others as
> well). Now, some systems have the ability to port the screen to a local serial
> port (these are getting rare in modern commodity systems) and there are a
> couple of screen device options that will allow either screen->console output
> or screen->network. these, however, are fairly expensive solutions.
>
> I even suggested this to an interviewer from the conference happening in
> canada today.  Now, I do understand that making OpenBSD capable of this might
> entail a lot of development work.
>
> now, some linux projects (like OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and Vinux) can operate as a
> live dvd (and in the case of Vinux, even the installer is fully accessible)
> but OpenBSD isn't Linux. However, this type of installation system could prove
> to be very powerful as hardware detection and settings could be made before
> running the installation script.
>
> Oh, and Theo, I would understand if you find this idea a little far fetched.
> Still, all I request is that you  and your team give it a look-see.  I am
> still looking at using the custom scripting project to perform an install, but
> have run into a couple of snags dealing with some of the variables that need
> to be passed to the installer (I know, I know, read some more).
>
> anyway, take a look and see if this idea is doable. There are a lot of blind
> people like me that want something more secure than windows and easier to
> work.
>
> Let me know what you guys think.
>
> btw, as an afterthought, I should mention that I am using OpenBSD 5.0 with
> Speakup as the console screen reader. This system is my household firewall and
> internal DNS.
>
> -eric

gee...now I'm getting self-conscious...  what's better for a screen
reader, top posting or bottom posting?  (Part of me really hopes you say
"top posting", love to stick it to the people who can't write in
complete sentences, but will dictate to the rest of the world how to write).

First of all...the easy part...live CD.  I suspect the interest in that
is rapidly approaching zero.  Its a concept who's time has come...and
gone, I think.  Five or six years ago, yeah...cool.  Today...why?.  A
live CD gives you a very rigid, predefined read-only environment.  I
think a much more useful tool these days is a USB flash drive -- they
are smaller than a CD, more rugged, and probably run on more modern
systems than CDs do (I say that with some uncertainty -- some modern
computers come with no DVD, virtually all come with USB ports, but some
have broken BIOSs).  Making a live USB stick is exactly the same as
making a standard install; no need for anything "new", assuming you have
something that can boot from a CD or floppy and has a USB port (bootable
or not!) to do the initial install from.  Making it into an installer is
as simple as adding the standard install files to a subdirectory on the
flash drive, booting "bsd.rd" and pointing the installer at that
location for the files.

As for a vision-impared-friendly version of OpenBSD, I think this is a
potentially a great idea for a side project (unlike most "side projects"
which would be better replaced with a few lines of explanatory
instruction).  I would think this would be best handled like OpenSSH and
friends are handled -- take the basic OpenBSD and rebundle to add
whatever you need to add to make it screen-reader friendly.  Follow
OpenBSD, but re-bundle it as you feel best.  If there are things that
create problems for the vision impaired in OpenBSD or screen-reader
incompatabilities, make a diff, make a regression test and submit it for
inclusion...

As for sending the screen out to a serial port, "It's In There" -- just
use a serial console, and "tap" it to your serial reader (I'm having
Vortrax Type n Talk flashbacks) (actually, I'd half-guess a modern
serial reader would provide the serial port pass-through, but I have no
idea).  You probably want something where you just echo what is on the
screen to the serial port...I'm guessing that would be a modest change
to the wscons subsystem (but please don't take my comments as anything
resembling authoritative or correct).

Nick.