On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:37:09AM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
> Plus...we have very little evidence anyone was actually USING mac68k.
>
> NONE of this applies to macppc.  The ONLY thing in common between
> mac68k and macppc in the OpenBSD project is the first three letters,
> and no one is confusing the two platforms.

In my opinion, old shit matters negatively when it distracts effort from
supporting new shit.

We have about zero support for anything running arm... our arm platforms
are pitiful.

if hw people concentrating on fixing stupid issues on, say, vax, were
instead adding support to new arm platforms or other similar shit, that
would be cool.

Of course, I know that the reality is more complex than that, and that
arm platforms are another can of worm.  But stuff released and bought today
and with decent documentation matters more to me than a lot of shit made
ten years ago.

Arbitrarily, platforms like sparc64 or ppc matter... because of  the strict
alignment issue, the endianess funkiness, the char signedness, and stuff
like that (like, ppc is probably the most interesting gcc platform, since
David Edelsohn decided a ppc-based gcc ought to be able to produce valid
code for *any* ppc platform in existence).

But fixing MD issues in code that nobody really cares about ?

Come on... !