On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:55:18AM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> Wel, reading an answers book does not really help. Arriving at the
> answers yourself (wich requires effort indeed) is much better.
>
> A mentioned in the preface, K&R requires some knowledge about general
> programming concepts and/or access to someone with experience. And it
> requires real study, not just causal reading, as others have said
> before.
>
> I'm probably biased, I learned C the hard way: I only had access to
> the reference manual part of the 1st edition, a long long time ago,
> must have been 1985. That reference manuals was about 30 pages
> (somehat smaller than the reference manual in the 2nd ed).
>
> If you find K&R hard, still be sure to return to it after you feel
> more confortable with C. C is a small language. K&R could not have
> said it better in the preface to the 2nd ed: "C is not a big language,
> and it is not well served by a big book". While it is a small book
> they not only teach the language itself, but a lot about style,
> standard idiom and general approach of writing C.
>
> As often, a small book might require more effort, but in the end is
> more effective.
>
>       -Otto

I need to return to it again. I have got it and the reference manual
packed away in storage since I was traveling a lot.
I also found a really excellent book on pointers that was published in
India (in English).

I may have better luck this time as I have fiddled a little bit with
assembly (just for the hell of it).
I was very puzzled with the section on bits in C.
I have started to use more complicated structures in Perl such as arrays
of arrays and arrays of arrays of hashes, etc.

I have gotten very close to finishing up on the programming I needed to
do and I will need a new challenge to keep my free time filled (too much
of that unfortunately).

Chris Bennett