On 2012-11-15, Daniel Ouellet <dan...@presscom.net> wrote:
> On 11/15/12 1:58 AM, Claudio Jeker wrote:
>> Why is your router unhappy about this AS path? This is a valid 4-byte
>> AS_PATH. Could it be that for some strange reason one side thinks that
>> 4-byte AS are enabled and the other still expects 2-byte AS numbers?

Daniel: Specifically, can you check what your router shows for "neighbor
capabilities" for the route server in 'sh ip bgp nei'?

Anything about "Four-octets ASN Capability"?

> But as you can see, it is not that I reject the 4 bytes, I do see them
> in the table and I sure process them as well or they would not show up here.

Sorry this doesn't prove anything -

- the session with your peer can negotiate 4-byte ASN support or not

- if it negotiates 4-byte then 4-byte sequences are used in AS_PATH

- if it negotiates 2-byte then 2-byte seq's are used in AS_PATH, but
there will be an AS4_PATH from the most recent 4-byte speaker that
your side will merge with the 2-byte path

So you can have 4-byte paths listed in your routing table even though
none of your peer sessions have negotiated it.