On 11/15/12 3:38 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2012-11-15, Daniel Ouellet <dan...@presscom.net> wrote:
A more complete answer provided in private, but here is an extract and
as you can see, I have peers that I have the session where I advertise
supporting the 4 bytes, and they do not support it as shown, so I do not
advertise to them as such and others that I do both as shown.

 From the private mail the important part is that the route server
is *not* announcing 4-byte ASN support, but your router does.

   Neighbor capabilities:
     Route refresh: advertised and received(new)
     Four-octets ASN Capability: advertised

i.e. "advertised" not "advertised and received".

So as far as your router is concerned, this session is *not*
using 4-byte ASN, but it would appear that their side thinks it is.
I don't see any problems with the code in -current for this
negotiation, the relevant code was changed in rde.c 1.276 but
the old code also looks correct.

It would be interesting to know what version of bgpd code they
are running (and whether they have made any changes to it)...

That's what I am hoping to get answer here as Equinix WILL not answer my question on this.

The only reason I send this to the list here is because.

- Equinix did explain to me they run OpenBSD router-server

- They sadly run an older version and I think this may have been fix long ago, but I can't be 100% sure. There was work done on 4 Bytes ASN before.

- Equinix also sad it was an OpenBSD developer that is doing the consultant work for them. I don't know if that's true or a lie, so asking here, I am hoping that may be that person he it is true will see this and may be just upgrade the router-servers there to address the same problem for many ISP there peering or trying to peer with the router server.

- I can't be sure but I do think they run 4.6 or possibly 4.8. I just can't get them to upgrade. Why I do not understand it.

I will be the first to admit that I can't say if this is an OpenBSD issue as this may have been fix already or not. I do not know. The only think I know is I will not get that answer until the systems are upgraded to the latest version as we all have to do with bugs to find them and I am hoping that by putting this here, I will get the attention needed.

It's just been like this for 18 months by the way and at the price they charge to have equipment in their top of the line location, one would expect to be able to get this looked at! They did and said all is good for them, but still are not welling to upgrade to be 100% sure.

I am just trying a different angle and hoping for the best.

May be, just may be someone here can help or not.

But at the same time I do not know if there is a bug or not in bgpd and if there is anything I can do to show this or not, I would be more then happy to try.

May be every one that peer with the router-servers have very small router not supporting 4 bytes and are ok that way. I peer directly with most and only try to also add the smaller one as well I guess as some will only peer with the router-servers and I can only conclude that's because they do not have the capacity to do 4 bytes, or do not have the router capability to peer directly and with each big ISP. Or they are limited in money and use OpenBSD as well for sub Gb access and do not see any problem. I can't speculate on the reason why, I am only trying to see how I could possibly have the fix somehow.

I just don't like it when I see OpenBSD not working well (or not upgraded to fix the issue anyway) as I use it pretty much everywhere as far back as 2.8 and it served me well too!

Best,

Daniel