On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 02:02:09PM +0100, MERIGHI Marcus wrote:
> umass0 at uhub7 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Sony USB Floppy
>         Drive" rev 1.10/6.01 addr 3
> umass0: using UFI over CBI with CCI
> scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
> sd0 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: <SONY, USB-FDU, 6.01> ATAPI 0/direct
>         removable

USB floppy drives are pretty much the only option for newer systems,
although ATAPI LS-120 drives are still out there.

What's the problem?

> After being puzzled I just tried an existing floppy, disklabel shows a
> /dev/sd0i slice, mounting worked.

It's DOS formatted disk, 'i' is part of the pseudo-disklabel.

> But trying to make use of an unformatted floppy I failed:
>
> Did the usual ``fdisk -i sd0'',  ``disklabel -E sd0'', created ``i''
> slice. After ``newfs_msdos /dev/rsd0i'' (which returned darn fast but
> without obvious error output) the ``i'' slice vanished from disklabel.
> Unsurprisingly mounting a non existing /dev/sd0i slice failed.

You're attempting to put an MBR and disklabel on a floppy, don't do
that if you're going to newfs_msdos.

newfs_msdos -F 12 /dev/rsd0c
mount -t msdos /dev/sd0i /mnt

> fdformat(1) just says ``this is not a floppy''.

fdformat(1) uses ioctl(4)'s specific to fdc(4), that will not work for
floppy controllers behind USB.

You can always just..

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rfd0c bs=64k

> What options do I have? What am I getting wrong? Clue bat welcome!
>
> Bye, Marcus

What's the problem?

-Bryan.