hmm, on Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 03:49:00PM -0600, Chris Bennett said that
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 06:05:10PM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > since a couple of snapshosts back i can quite reliably
> > freeze my openbsd notebook simply by leaving it on
> > overnight.  the desktop is there, all the open windows
> > are there, but it has become a painting...
> > nothing in the logs, no panic, nothing.
> > anybody else is seeing something similar?
> >
> > -f
> >

> My notebook would freeze up regularly, especially after I had
> opened "enough" applications.
>
> This was somewhat annoying. :)
>
> Turned out that my hard drive was at the edge of failure.
> I am guessing that needing to swap to the hard drive after free
> memory filled up caused the failures. I could be wrong.

a dying disk tends to make quite a lot of noise in the logs..
i see no signs of that so far.  and i have lots of
fsck's because of unclean shutdowns. basically
nowadays every clean shutdown is cause for celebration.
(difficult to believe no people see this, every notebook
i had since 2008 could not shutdown cleanly 50-70%
of the time)

as to the memory, i have a usb stick with linux that has
memtest86 as boot option. i can leave that overnight as well.

hardware is always suspect, but it's so difficult to test...

-f
--
sorry guys, this is not heavy metal.