hmm, on Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 01:23:41PM -0800, Philip Guenther said that
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM, frantisek holop <min...@obiit.org> wrote:
> > since a couple of snapshosts back i can quite reliably
> > freeze my openbsd notebook simply by leaving it on
> > overnight.  the desktop is there, all the open windows
> > are there, but it has become a painting...
> > nothing in the logs, no panic, nothing.
> > anybody else is seeing something similar?
>
> I'll second the "try doing ctrl-alt-F1 followed by 'boot crash'"
> recommendation.  (If you don't have swap and /var space for a crash
> dump, then at least try blind typing 'trace' and 'ps' and then 'boot
> reboot', as if that can actually reboot then you'll see the panic
> message, back trace, and ps info in the output of dmesg.

i always try these.  no results.
keyboard seems to be totally dead (i also have
machdep.kbdreset=1 and it has never worked in
case of a freeze).

> The other thought is that you describe this as a change from before;
> what was the last snapshot you installed that you can be sure *did
> not* exhibit this behavior?  e.g., did the machine last overnight when
> running 5.1?  5.2-release?  An October snapshot?

leaving my notebook on overnight did not result in hard freeze "before".
it is basically idling, not even connected to network.  couple
of programs left running as they were.  basically a poor man's
"hybernate" as this notebook cannot wake up after zzz..

to define that "before", i am sorry, i cannot.  i remember
in november a distinct freeze when i left to computer alone
only for a couple of hours.  coming back to it it was totally
unresponsive and i could only turn it off. this case i said
"overnight" but of course the freeze could have happened
anytime before i woke up.  i just wrote a heartbeat script
that spams syslog...

i have also stopped using systat enterily as it could
lock up all and every snapshot for the last year.
starting it specifically outside X in the console
would lock up the machine so bad only turning off helped.
no ddb, no ctrl-alt-del, just the blinking cursor behind
"systat".  so frustrating not to be able to trace down
any of this. apparently it is not happening to others either.
so yes, too bad.

-f
--
no sense being pessimistic.  it wouldn't work anyway.