Hi,

I also thought about buying a new wireless card, since the D-Link 630 with the Ralink chipsed proves troublesome and panics the kernel during boot if left inserted.

I found an old-stock on ebay, a DWL-G650M (there are many variations of the 650 Card, this is the M version which has an Atheros chipset I just found out).

I don't see it in ifconfig, dmesg says:
vendor "Atheros", unknown product 0x0020 (class network subclass ethernet, rev 0x01) at cardbus0 dev 0 function 0 not configured

which is not very encouraging! I have seen that on Linux luck about support seems to vary a lot, but there are variations of this card.

Thanks.
Riccardo