Hi,

Tobias Weingartner wrote:
On Thursday, November 17, Andreas Bartelt wrote:

As much better algorithms for error detection are known and PC performance (and also Internet traffic) has increased a lot since the introduction of TCP - do you think that the original checksum algorithm is still the best choice in terms of a reliability/performance tradeoff?

Nope, it is not.  But that's the reason it's called a "standard".  You
get some good, and some bad with them.  Welcome to the real world...

it's probably my lack of knowledge, but I thought it would be possible to solve this by a TCP option without breaking interoperability. So this is actually a design decision which can't be corrected without a TCP replacement (which, I guess, won't happen in the next years)?

regards,
Andreas