Hi,

Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
> Hi Ricardo
>
> I am curious which scientific instrumentation application that was? I
> have heard about the odd one that will run on Mac but it's an industry
> 99% dominated by Windoze.

it was simulation software for VHDL for implementation on VLSI or FPGAs,
the display parts were all the timings, the layouting, etc etc. The
toolkit was abit like wx.. but I really don't remember the name. You
used it totally as a Unix application, but you could see two "processes"
running which provided certain windows-style functions.
> I tried GNUstep and wrote it off because it was so black it looked
> like crap. My approach has changed a lot since then though. I will
> give it another try. Even if I can't get it to look great, I think I
> will be doing a good thing by trying to sell customers on the idea of
> something that works right but looks like crap, rather the
> conventionally approach which is the reverse.

Well, I don't think it looks like crap, it is the first time someone
tells me GNustpe is "Black", usually ti is described as "boring grey" :)
It is mostly grey, as the typical Windows NT/95 look. Due to differences
in display Gamma, the grey looks much darker than they did on NeXT,
which can disturb.

GNUstep colors are however easily customizable with themes, which
supersede the color schemes by incorporating their functionality and
extending it.

Work for a brighter clearer is on work on the Sleek theme for example,
look here:

http://multixden.blogspot.it/2013/04/ftp-04.html

It will soon see a new release, as the Neos theme should.

If you are interested in anything just let me know, What kind of
interfaces do you need? Could the plotting toolkit suit your needs? What
kind of hardware is your target?

Riccardo

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
riccardo_mottola.vcf]