> The HP machines tend to have very complicated AML with heavy SMI and
> EC dependencies.  Another vendor which leans this way sometimes is
> Sony.
>
> Some machines do have AML bugs, and the Microsoft/Intel ACPI code
> bases certainly have workarounds for those problems.
>
> Some machines simply use corner areas of ACPI that we handle
> incorrectly.  It takes a lot of effort to find these corner cases and
> handle them correctly.

I'm digging through Google to find exact error on FreeBSD I
enountered, exact walkaround that (sort of) helped and suspected
cause. I remember faintly it was AML construction that failed.
-[tick tock]-
Cant't find it, sorry. I don't remember exact panic data that helped
me find solution. But AFAIR cure was to disable acpica driver.

OTOH, It is BSD that is right. BSDs keep in line with standards. It is
HP that screws things up (for years). I understand - mountain won't
come to BSD, it is BSD that shall go to the the mountain. This is
politics. I hate politics. I have a dream: someone at HP would say "We
are dumbasses. Let's fix BIOS and be such no more".

Paul
--
P.S. And as Theo & the crew is on thread: thanks for OpenBSD as a
whole. Thanks for keeping it small. Thanks for keeping it simple.