Hi Otto,

>>I would like to see the output of userinfo pyiu. Added to that, the
>>output of getcap -f /etc/login.conf class, where class is the login
>>class of teh user, as reported by userinfo.

login   pyiu
passwd  WhatEverWasHere
uid     1002
groups  users wheel
change  NEVER
class
gecos   Paul Yiu
dir     /home/pyiu
shell   /usr/local/bin/bash
expire  NEVER

pyiu do not assign to any class as shown above.
-bash-3.00# getcap -f /etc/login.conf default
default:        :path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R6/bin
/usr/local/bin:      :umask=022:     :datasize-max=256M:
:datasize-cur=75M:      :maxproc-max=128:       :maxproc-cur=64:
:openfiles-cur=64:      :stacksize-cur=4M:
:localcipher=blowfish,6:        :ypcipher=old:  :auth=passwd,skey:
:auth-ftp=passwd:

>>Also, we need to see the exact command line used and errors reported.
>>Not just some vague description.

I use ssh.com client 3.2.9 to login as pyiu and type su to su as root
and what has been capture in /var/log/authlog is
Nov 21 11:27:02 openbsd1 su: BAD SU pyiu to root on /dev/ttyp0
I can provide more details if necessery.

--
Regards,
Paul Yiu

Max eCommerce Pty Ltd.
http: www.maxecommerce.com
Ph: +61 02 9651 3422   Fax: +61 02 9651 4622
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be subject to
copyright, legal or some other professional privilege. They are intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
They may only be copied, distributed or disclosed with the consent of the
copyright owner. If you have received this email by mistake or by breach of the
confidentiality clause, please notify the sender immediately by return email
and delete or destroy all copies of the email. Any confidentiality, privilege
or copyright is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you by
mistake.