On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 07:38:56AM -0400, Bryan Chapman wrote:
> On 10/10/13 05:34, Marc Espie wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 05:36:22PM -0400, Bryan Chapman wrote:
> >>Just installed the Oct 3rd snapshot on my desktop.  During the boot
> >>process it loses console output and just shows a blank screen.  The
> >>screen doesn't go into power saving - just no output.  At first I though
> >>the machine froze, but it continued running and I was able to SSH into
> >>the machine.  Here is the DMESG.  Looks like some issues with DRM.  At a
> >>bit of a loss on the next troubleshooting steps, any ideas?
> >>
> >Exact same issue here... drm effect.
> >boot -c
> >disable radeondrm
> >then install the firmware manually (firmware-update will not see it
> >unfortunately). Then reboot.
> >
> >If your machine has network, jsg would probably be happy to see what's
> >going on in /var/log/messages while the machine loses boot...
> Thanks -- installing the firmware package resolved the issue.  I
> just assumed that the firmware updater would grab it if needed.

According to jsg@, the KMS code is able to figure out that the firmware
is needed, and not do the video change if it's not installed.

Obviously, that still fails from some cards: the KMS code doesn't get
an error, and the video change still occur.

So a log of what the kernel says when it's switching while not having
the firmware would be useful for trying to fix that...