On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 04:37:25PM +0100, za...@gmx.com wrote:

> Are there any significant drawbacks to my adoption of OpenBSD (such
> as OpenBSD being too technical and too difficult, as compared, say,
> to Linux distros)?

One of the things that makes code good and secure is simplicity. That focus
on keeping things simple is a way of life that make OpenBSD a good choice
for people with a low bullshit tolerance. And I think it makes it more
approachable, not less, than Linux and certain other not to be named GUI
malware with a EULA parading around as an OS.

OpenBSD makes a clear separation between the OS and most of the applications
that run on it. That is not true of many other OS and OS-like systems. If
you go to one of the mirrors and find the packages for your architecture
(presumably you're using either 32 or 64 bit Intel) you can see which
applications are available. A desktop means different things to different
people. If all the apps you need and want are available then there is no
reason why you won't be happy with OpenBSD. If they aren't, you'll have to
do a little more thinking and research. You can build many apps on OpenBSD
but there is a general problem of Linux people not realizing there is more
to the world than Linux and not everything that builds on Linux will build
without changes on OpenBSD.

> Please, give me some advice. If OpenBSD is not for me, I would
> rather know it sooner than later.

I don't really think you can make a decision on paper unless your goals and
requirements are pretty clear. If you have to have apps that only run on
Linux or Windows that's an easy decision. Otherwise it's worth looking into
your options and trying them out. If you overcommit you can always buy
another box.

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD