> Sorry for late answer - had some problems with my ISP.
>
> On Sunday 22 December 2013 01:42:09 electronmuontau neutrino wrote:
> > I have two machines configured as wifi access points that use the
> > athn(4) driver.  One is an Acer Aspire One D250 and the other is an
> > ALIX.2D13 with a Compex WLM200NX Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n miniPCI
> > card.  Both have OpenBSD 5.4 release installed.  I've been able to
> > reproduce the problem reliably on both.  The following is one
> > procedure I used to test the problem:
> >
> > -boot machine with athn down
> >
> >     $ ifconfig athn0
> >     athn0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         lladdr: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> >         priority: 4
> >         groups: wlan
> >         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
> >         status: no network
> >         ieee80211: nwid ""
> >     $ sudo ifconfig athn0 inet 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 nwid
> > 1234567890 wpakey keykeykey mediaopt hostap
> >     $ ifconfig athn0
> >     athn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
> > 1500 lladdr: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> >         priority: 4
> >         groups: wlan
> >         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (autoselect hostap)
> >         status: active
> >         ieee80211: nwid 1234567890 chan 3 bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x:
> > wpakey <not displayed> wpaprotos wpa1, wpa2 wpaakms psk wpaciphers
> > tkip, ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip
> >         inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
> >         inet6 xxxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%athn0 pfrefixlen 64 scopeid
> > 0x1
> >
> > -edit dhcpd.conf and run dhcpd daemon
> >     $ sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpd athn0
> >
> > -attempt to associate from MacOSX and WinXP machines
> >     -not able to see nwid on WinXP after refreshing list multiple
> > times -can see nwid on MacOSX, but connection times out when trying
> > to associate
> >
> Down to here you are sending on 5120MHz, right?

I don't know.  How would you determine that?

> > -change channel on access point
> >     $ sudo ifconfig athn0 chan 7
> Now you switch to 2.4GHz - right?
>

> > -association with AP is successful from MacOSX and WinXP machines
> > now and IP addresses are assigned
> WinXP machine might not work with 5GHz?
>
> Are the antennas suitable for 5GHz? What about signal strength?
> On the MAC it might be useful to install a WiFi scanner which will
> tell you all about signal strength.
> There is a free program called "Wifi Scanner" in the AppleStore. It is
> very useful.

The antennas I used were from PCEngines - listed as antsma on their website.
antsma - Antenna for 2.4 GHz band, 5 dBi nominal gain. Reverse SMA connector.

They do have another antenna, antsmadb, that is dual band which I don't have.
antsmadb - Antenna for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band, 5 dBi peak gain in 2.4
GHz band. Reverse SMA connector.

I don't think signal strength was an issue because I tested with each
AP next to the Mac and Windows machines and still had the same result.