On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net> wrote:
> Evan Root [cellarr...@gmail.com] wrote:
>> Just so you all know,
>> This thread makes me want to try out Ext on Openbsd reeeaalll bad.
>
> It receives virtually no effort, and its performance sucks. Although,
> linux ext2fs is very fast because they skip a level of integrity (perhaps
> like mounting ffs with async)

It is exactly like ffs/async, but with a very smart fsck. I think Ted
T'so has been tweaking that thing for years. I've used ext2 for a very
long time, even after ext3 appeared (don't much care for the
journaling idea) and I've never lost a filesystem or even a file due
to a crash. Yes, I know that it's theoretically possible that fsck
won't be able to puth Humpty back together again, but it hasn't
happened to me. I think part of it is the reliability of Linux --
crashes are extremely rare -- and I have my desktop systems on UPSes.
So fsck has gotten few opportunities to fail.