Hi.

I have installed OpenBSD 5.4 on a laptop. So far everything runs fine
but I have the problem that it runs fairly hot even in idle.

I used to run FreeBSD on it before and it behaved very similar then,
until I read [1]. Setting performance_cx_lowest="C2" and
economy_cx_lowest="C2" did wonder to this machine and effectively
lowered the temperature and fan speed to acceptable levels. My
understanding is that this uses ACPI to make the processor run in at
least C2 state which makes it wake up somewhat slower but in general
decreases power usage.

My question is if I can do something similar with OpenBSD. I've read
through the source code to acpicpu(4) [2] and it mentions c-states
here and there, but I'm not used to the OpenBSD kernel source code and
is unable to tell how I can utilize it.

John

[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption
[2] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/acpi/acpicpu.c?rev=HEAD